[Info.aoa-nano] Smalltalks [about Nanoscience] "Probing the missing link between micro- and macrostructure"

Nano nano at chalmers.se
Tue Oct 17 09:05:36 CEST 2023

SmallTalk [about Nanoscience]
On Monday October 30th at 15.00h we welcome you all to our SmallTalk seminar series. You are welcome to join us in lecture hall Kollektorn, MC2 with fika or on zoom.
Our speaker is Leonard Nielsen, Doctoral Student, Materials Physics, Physics. The seminar is titled “Probing the missing link between micro- and macrostructure​”.
Abstract:
The mechanical properties of many complex materials, including biological materials such as bone, depend on structural features at multiple scales. At the molecular level, bone is made up of approximately 300 nanometers long collagen proteins, locked in place by hydroxyapatite crystals; these proteins are collected into bundles called fibrils; the fibrils are collected into micrometer-sized fibers, and so on. Small-angle x-ray scattering tensor tomography is an exciting new technique that enables us to simultaneously study of these different levels of organization, resolved in three dimensions, in samples which are large enough to be visible to the naked eye. This opens up exciting new research avenues for the study of bone and other so-called hierarchical materials.The seminar is divided into two parts, where the first part consists of a pure overview of the field and is held on a generally accessible level (10 min). The second part will be more technical (15-20 minutes).
Looking forward to seeing you live or on Zoom:  https://chalmers.zoom.us/j/63018620593#success
Best regards,
Alexandra, Philippe, Christoph, and Janine