[Info.aoa-nano] Smalltalks "De novo assembly of yeast genomes using optical genome mapping"

Nano nano at chalmers.se
Fri Dec 22 10:51:06 CET 2023

SmallTalk [about Nanoscience]
On Monday February 19th at 15.00h we welcome you all to our SmallTalk seminar series. You are welcome to join us in lecture hall Kollektorn, MC2 with fika or on zoom.
Our speaker is Luis Mario Leal Garza, Doctoral Student, Chemical Biology, Life Sciences. The seminar is titled “​De novo assembly of yeast genomes using optical genome mapping”.
Abstract:
Optical genome mapping (OGM) is a technique that can facilitate genome assemblies and detect structural variations in genomes, overcoming limitations of traditional techniques. In this study, we use a nanofluidic device and competitive binding labeling to stretch and label DNA for its imaging. Computational methods are then used to de novo assemble the genomes of two model yeasts. Our results demonstrate the ability of OGM to extend genome coverage in comparison to traditional genome assemblies.
The seminar is divided into two parts, where the first part consists of a pure overview of the field and is held on a generally accessible level (10 min). The second part will be more technical (15-20 minutes).
Looking forward to seeing you live or on Zoom: https://chalmers.zoom.us/j/61929604403#success
Best regards,
Angela, Nils, Christoph, and Janine