[Agda] A proof of omniscience in Agda

Martin Escardo m.escardo at cs.bham.ac.uk
Sun Sep 4 22:22:46 CEST 2011

Dear Hank,

Thanks for pointing out that my opportunities of employment are not
nil if the funding policies proceed in the direction they seem to be
going.

More seriously:

On 03/09/11 16:04, Peter Hancock wrote:
> Have you really debauched the set of natural numbers, or just made
> some other set of other things?(Smiley.)

This is a fair question. I have three answers.

Firstly, in the current Agda files I do embed ℕ into ℕ∞ so that only
one new element, namely ∞, arises, dutifully formally proved (not
because I wanted to justify this to people who might ask, but because
it is needed for the proof of the theorem (twice: once directly, and
once indirectly in the density theorem).

Secondly, in the accompanying paper cited in the Agda files I do
mention that another way of seeing ℕ∞ is as a co-inductive definition
using 0 and successor, in which you hence get the new point ∞ in the
usual well known way (as an infinite piling of successor
functions). (The first way of adding the point is that of traditional
constructive mathematics.)

Thirdly, I could have written the Agda proof using the co-inductive
definition, and in fact this is a nice exercise for people in this
list trying to understand how Agda works. The reason I didn't do that
is that there will be a next installment of the Agda proof, showing
that plenty of other subsets of the Cantor space are omniscient. For
this generalized setting, it is more convenient to have ℕ∞ in the way
I currently defined it.

Anyway, I sense that you were only joking and that you didn't really
intend me to answer this.

Best wishes,
Martin