[Agda] Re: Dependencies for compiling agda, principal question

James Chapman james at cs.ioc.ee
Wed Apr 21 21:18:06 CEST 2010

I would just like to point out that, as I learned recently from an
agda list discussion, you can compile the current darcs version of
agda with ghc 6.10.4 (16 July 2009). You just have to do without
Darin's patches for now:

$ darcs obliterate --match='author dwm at cs.nott.ac.uk'

It's nice to have the development version as it has pattern matching
and performance improvements for records.

Even without this workaround I don't think it's so bad that the
development version of agda depends on the most recent stable version
of ghc (6.12.1 - 14 December 2009). It's not like it requires the
latest unstable development version of ghc.

The annoying thing is that various linux distributions are slow at
adding updating their version of ghc. But, ghc is much easier and
faster to build yourself these days. It works out of the box most of
the time and can be installed easily in an isolated manner in
somewhere like /usr/local.

James