[Agda] interactive mode

Andres Loeh andres at cs.uu.nl
Mon Jun 9 12:59:05 CEST 2008

Hi Thorsten.

> have you actually tried the emacs mode? It is becoming the standard way to
> develop Agda programs, and it is quite usable these days & I suspect that
> it is more productive then using the interactive mode.

Yes, I have, and I agree that it is quite good. Anyway, even though I
had everything set up for emacs, I found myself switching back to vim
and --interactive after a while ...

> I agree that ideally the programming language shouldn't dictate the
> development tools. Agda is doing better than Epigram, it allows you to use
> a batch mode and it's emacs interface is more flexible. Dependently typed
> languages redefine this question, because one could argue that the ability
> to batch "compile" your programs is not enough you also want a low-tech
> interface to interactive program development/

I agree here as well. I certainly don't want to bash the emacs mode, and
I discourage its further development. I just think that it would be nice
if it wouldn't be the only choice for interactive development ...

Cheers,
  Andres

--

Andres Loeh, Universiteit Utrecht