[subexp-daq] How to start a DAQ system after NURDLIB, TRLOII, DRASI, etc. were updated

Håkan T Johansson f96hajo at chalmers.se
Tue Jan 16 11:36:03 CET 2024

Dear Günter,

On Tue, 16 Jan 2024, Weber, Guenter Dr. wrote:

> Dear Hans, dear Håkan,
>

> would it be possible to modify the Makefiles in such a way that basics
> checks (e.g. NURDLIB_DEF_PATH and TRLOII_PATH are set to a path that
> exsists) are done right in the beginning? Also maybe the outcomes logged in
> files like trloii.h.log could be more clearly communicated on the command
> line. This would have helped a great deal.

Agree.  Something(s) needs to be done.  Fail early is a good strategy!

One could have some 'make checkconfig' target which could try to check
especially externally set variables that can affect the compile flow in a
tool.  And have it run early always, especially if it is quiet by
default.  And some VERBOSE=1 flag that would print useful info (as well as
make that 'make checkconfig' tell more what it is doing.  Since there
already is the QUIET= option that starts to print everything which is
done, verbose might not be the rigth name.  Not thinking of printing
everything here, which is just unreadable, but some actually useful debug
info.  PRETTY_VERBOSE=1 ? :-)

(drasi and trloii has 'make showconfig' which tells what internal
configurations it has come up with internally, but that is not what we are
after here.)

> I now also compiled UCESB (on PC).
>

> What now?

Try to run the DAQ. ;)

> There is the folder UPEXPS, in which (to my limited understanding) it is
> defined what the DAQ actually does with the various modules. Unfortunately,
> I have no idea how exactly this works. Do I have to recompile here after
> TRLOII, DRASI, NURDLIB, etc. were replaced by new versions?

The upexps presumably if 'just' unpacking, i.e. not involved in the DAQ as
such, only in the data unpacking.

That should only depend on ucesb, not on the other DAQ tools, and the DAQ
should not depend on it.  Except if your normal file writing goes via
ucesb, which I hope not...

upexps is a repository which ... needs help (it is not being properly
maintained).  Could you tell which commit you are using in that?

> Thank you very much!

Thank you for all the feedback!

Cheers,
Håkan