[subexp-daq] NURDLIB: - how to check which version is installed and how to update to the most recent version

Hans Toshihide Törnqvist hans.tornqvist at chalmers.se
Tue Jan 9 11:31:34 CET 2024

Dear Günter,

On 2024-01-09 11:18, Weber, Guenter Dr. wrote:
> Dear Hans, dear Håkan,
>
> now the compilation was successful.

*Thumbs up*

> Side note:
>
> 'export VARIABLE_NAME=VARIABLE_VALUE' did not work on our RIO4. Instead
> 'setenv VARIABLE_NAME VARIABLE_VALUE' needed to be used. Probably, this
> due to not using bash but tcsh (for whatever reason).

If I remember correctly, the historical reason was to easily have the
.bashrc for normal systems and the .tcshrc for DAQ systems.

> Now I updated the NURDLIB, right? To check if it actually works with the
> hardware present, I would now need to run the DAQ and have a look at the
> output data.

You also need to rebuild the f-user. Nurdlib provides the library to
read out hardware, the f-user is the piece of code between nurdlib and
the DAQ backend, in this case drasi.
So, something like:

cp -r r3bfuser r3bfuser.20240109 # Backup!
cd r3bfuser
rm -rf build_*
make drasi

I'm pretty sure that r3bfuser looks for nurdlib in "../nurdlib/".

> Will DRASI automatically work with the new NURDLIB or do I need to
> compile it again?

This would solved with the r3bfuser rebuild :)
Eventually, once this nurdlib business is settled, you could consider
updating drasi too. It's good practice, updating and backing things up.

> Will also UCESB automatically adapt to the new NURDLIB or do I need to
> compile it again?

Should be fine as is.

> (I am a bit puzzled by the fact that it is
> '~/mbsrun/rio4/mcalstruck/ucesb/...' and not
> '~/mbsrun/rio4/2023_mcalstruck/ucesb/...'. This seems to be inconsistent.)

Feel free to play around, again once the nurdlib stuff is done!

> Moreover, I found the following environment variables that (to my
> understanding) tell the various parts of the DAQ software where it can
> find some necessary stuff:
>
> TRLOII_PATH=/LynxOS/mbsusr/mbsdaq/mbsrun/rio4/2023_mcalstruck/trloii
> TRIDI_CTRL=/LynxOS/mbsusr/mbsdaq/mbsrun/rio4/2023_mcalstruck/trloii/trloctrl/fw_d374466d_tridi/bin_ppc-linux_4.2.2/tridi_ctrl
> TRIMI_CTRL=/LynxOS/mbsusr/mbsdaq/mbsrun/rio4/2023_mcalstruck/trloii/trimictrl/bin_ppc-linux_4.2.2/trimictrl
> TRLOII_FLASH=/LynxOS/mbsusr/mbsdaq/mbsrun/rio4/2023_mcalstruck/trloii/flash/bin_ppc-linux_4.2.2/vulomflash
> VULOM4_CTRL=/LynxOS/mbsusr/mbsdaq/mbsrun/rio4/2023_mcalstruck/trloii/trloctrl/fw_d96ffc88_trlo/bin_ppc-linux_4.2.2/trlo_ctrl
> EXP_PATH=/LynxOS/mbsusr/mbsdaq/mbsrun/rio4/2023_mcalstruck
> HTOOLS_PATH=/LynxOS/mbsusr/mbsdaq/mbsrun/rio4/2023_mcalstruck/htools
>
> As I copied the complete folder structure of '2023_mcalstruck' to
> '2024_mcalstruck', to be consistent I will redefine all this variables
> to point to the new folder.

Good idea, and eventually you may want to automate this with a set of
other scripts for future DAQ:s :)

> Best greetings from Jena
>
> Günter
Cheers,