[subexp-daq] Question on default firmware for VULOM

Weber, Guenter Dr. g.weber at hi-jena.gsi.de
Tue Feb 20 10:46:52 CET 2024

Dear Hans,

just to close this issue, here is what we are doing now to set the VULOM to the right firmware. As it is possible that a DAQ system is operating with different software versions that also require different VULOM firmware, we now load the right firmware 'on-the-fly' as part of the startup of the DAQ system. After loading of the firmware a short waiting time is necessary before the VULOM is ready again.

# Obtain the right firmware

VULOM4_FW=`cat ${TRLOII_PATH}/fw/vulom4b_trlo/trlo_defs.h | grep MD5SUM_STAMP | sed 's/.*0x//'`
export VULOM4_CTRL=$trloiipath/trloctrl/fw_${VULOM4_FW}_trlo/bin_${machine}_${version}/trlo_ctrl

# setup local constants
addr=3
firmware_region=2

# restarting the VULOM to set the correct firmware version
echo "Restarting VULOM with firmware region" $firmware_region
$TRLOII_PATH/bin/vulomflash --addr=$addr --restart=$firmware_region
echo "Waiting for VULOM to answer..."
exit_code=1
while [ $exit_code -ne 0 ] ; do
    $TRLOII_PATH/bin/vulomflash --addr=$addr --read &> /dev/null
    exit_code=$?
    if [ $exit_code -ne 0 ] ; then
        sleep 1 #sleep for 1 sec before retrying
    fi
done

# Trigger on VULOM pulser
$VULOM4_CTRL --addr=$addr --clear-setup --config=vulom.trlo standalone module_trigger

If we did understand the naming convention in "bin/vulomflash --addr=$ADDR --readprogs" a bit better, we would probably also be able to estimate from the name/number of the firmware the right firmware region on the VULOM (and we could check if the right firmware was already loaded). But at the moment, we set firmware_region by hand.

In the ideal world, we would then have an init script for the DAQ that takes care of the VULOM settings just by looking at the state of the software under TRLOII_PATH. This could help our guys a lot who have no idea about all this stuff :-)

Best greetings

Günter