[subexp-daq] Question: what is GEOM?

Weber, Guenter Dr. g.weber at hi-jena.gsi.de
Mon Apr 22 16:40:51 CEST 2024

Dear Hans, dear Håkan,

thank you for the explanations. Maybe my questions don't make much sense as I have not correctly understood the concept of this GEO number.

As I see it, the DAQ software is (automaticly) assigning a GEO number to (some of?) the modules that is then readout from the module again by the same DAQ. We then need to know this number to configure the matching procedure in the *.spec file. And just by guessing and looking what Bastian provided us, we assumed that this number is assigned according to the order that the modules appear in the main.cfg file.

I get that it is nice to have a unique number for each module to make sure that if there are many, you are always looking at the right one. So, is the GEO number just a way to avoid identifying the modules by tthe lengthy address that is set using the rotary switches (which also should be unique for each crate, right?)?

If possible and not already implemented, I think it would be really good to have the option to set a GEO number in main.cfg for each module. This would avoid having to deal with new GEO numbers for everything once modules are added or removed (as Håkan already mentioned).

But maybe I simply do not understand yet, how this GEO thing actually works 😊

Many thanks and best greetings

Günter