[Info.aoa-nano] Smalltalks "Exploring aluminium nitride for optomechanics"

Nano nano at chalmers.se
Fri Dec 22 11:18:21 CET 2023

SmallTalk [about Nanoscience]
On Monday April 29th at 15.00h we welcome you all to our SmallTalk seminar series. You are welcome to join us in lecture hall Kollektorn, MC2 with fika or on zoom.
Our speaker is Anastasiia Ciers, Postdoc, Quantum Technology, Microtechnology and Nanoscience. The seminar is titled "Exploring aluminium nitride for optomechanics".
Abstract:
To isolate its motion from disturbance from the environment, a resonator must have an ultrahigh mechanical quality factor, Q, and high mechanical frequency, f. By taking advantage of strain engineering, quality factors up to 10 billion can be reached in crystalline silicon resonators. Crystalline materials provide lower density of defects, enabling higher mechanical quality factors and new functionality compared to amourphous materials. A wide bandgap aluminium nitride grown on silicon has a high lattice mismatch providing a high quality mechanical factor and relatively high piezoelectricity coefficient. We demonstrate resonator designs with ultrahigh mechanical quality factors and reach Qf products above 1012. These are the first ultrahigh-Q resonators that feature piezoelectricity and we expect that they can be used in quantum optomechanical systems.
The seminar is divided into two parts, where the first part consists of a pure overview of the field and is held on a generally accessible level (10 min). The second part will be more technical (15-20 minutes).
Looking forward to seeing you live or on Zoom:  https://chalmers.zoom.us/j/61929604403
Best regards,
Angela, Nils, Christoph, and Janine