[Info.aoa-nano] Smalltalks "How much noise is necessary in mesoscopic engines?"

Nano nano at chalmers.se
Tue Dec 19 16:02:59 CET 2023

SmallTalk [about Nanoscience]
On Monday January 22th at 15.00h we welcome you all to our SmallTalks seminar series. You are welcome to join us in lecture hall Kollektorn, MC2 with fika or on zoom.
Our speaker is Ludovico Tesser, Doctoral Student, Applied Quantum Physics, Microtechnology and Nanoscience. The seminar is titled "How much noise is necessary in mesoscopic engines"
Abstract:
Noise plays an important role in the characterization of nanoscale systems because, due to their small size, fluctuations are often comparable with average quantities.
In this talk, I will discuss some general properties of noise in coherent mesoscopic conductors. These properties can be formulated as inequalities, setting bounds on the noise. For example, when the device is working as an engine, they result in inequalities between the noise and useful output, e.g. output power.
First, I will discuss the main differences between conventional, macroscopic engines and mesoscopic ones. The key distinctions lie in the presence of non-negligible fluctuations and quantum mechanical features. In classical systems, fluctuations play a crucial role in determining the maximum output power in nanoscale engines. This is quantified by the recently developed thermodynamic uncertainty relations [1], which set a constraint on the precision of the engine. However, these uncertainty relations hold no longer in the presence of quantum coherence. Nonetheless, we establish a novel relation between the average charge current flowing in a mesoscopic conductor where quantum coherence is present and its noise [1]. This result sets a minimum amount of noise required to produce power, which complements the thermodynamic uncertainty relation.
The seminar is divided into two parts, where the first part consists of a pure overview of the field and is held on a generally accessible level (10 min). The second part will be more technical (15-20 minutes).
Looking forward to seeing you live or on Zoom: https://chalmers.zoom.us/j/61929604403
Best regards,
Angela, Nils, Christoph, and Janine