[Agda] On IRC, Slack, Gitter, Discord, and Zulip (re: Hanging out with the Lean crowd)

a.j.rouvoet a.j.rouvoet at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 13:37:46 CEST 2020

Although I agree with the intent, I suspect that trying to convince the
entirety of the community to consolidate on a single platform is bound
to fail.
For example, the #agda freenode channel is not going anywhere soon.
Another example that I only became aware of: the functional-programming
slack (functionalprogramming.slack.com) has an #agda channel with 400
members, and is also on zulip
(https://funprog.zulipchat.com/login/#narrow/stream/215389-Agda).

That being said, you can certainly ensure that the Agda website etc.
picks one solid medium that can be used for all casual communications
besides the mailing list and the issue tracker. Do not just spawn a new
one; make sure you move the conversation and kill off the ones managed
by the Agda team that are then deprecated (slack, gitter, ...).

Personally, I'd like to vouch for Discord---but am not against Zulip
perse, since I have no experience with it.
Communities like https://discord.com/invite/reasonml are extremely easy
access and heavily used by programmers.
Slack is slow and tedious nowadays.

(Sorry Jesper, I intended to reply to the list)