[Agda] Agda and Emacs mode

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Thu Dec 11 09:18:40 CET 2014

On 12/10/2014 12:21 PM, Harley Eades III wrote:
> Hi, everyone.
>
> On Dec 9, 2014, at 7:43 PM, Mateusz Kowalczyk <fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Some investigation was done
>>>

>> Apologies, didn't mean to send that, damn Thunderbird.
>>
>> What I was going to say is that there was some investigation done into
>> these commands by previous project (for the Atom editor I believe) but I
>> can't find the file now. I started to do ‘the emacs way’ of talking to
>> the process in Yi but it's very quickly becoming cumbersome. If your
>> student is going to use Haskell, I recommend he does what Andreas
>> recommended to me some weeks ago: collect the functions we want Agda to
>> expose and try to establish an API proper, maintaining it between Agda
>> releases.
>
> I personally like the idea of an API instead of communicating with the emacs
> interface.  This would make building various tools that need to use Agda in the
> background much easier, and faster.
>
> One such tool I have been pondering about is a tool that allows one to do proofs
> using graphical languages, e.g. string diagrams and proof nets. I would like
> to write this in Haskell, but then generate the corresponding equational reasoning
> in Agda in the background. An API would make this a lot easier.
>
> Mateusz have you been working on an API?

I did not have time to do any work regarding this. My list of ‘stuff I
need to hack on regarding Agda’ seems to always just grow and never
shrink. Unfortunately now even more than before I do not have time to
invest here. Maybe from February onwards… If someone wants to come up
with something then I would love to use it! Parsing what's effectively
ELisp and trying to re-implement the agda-mode.el functions to fit it is
rather ugly ;).

For reference, the response I was initially referring to is at
https://lists.chalmers.se/pipermail/agda/2014/007111.html

I wish luck to whoever decides to attempt to craft such API and
hopefully in the future I will have time to help out or do it myself if
not attempted yet.

--
Mateusz K.