[Agda] How much memory do I need to compile Agda 2.4.2?

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Sat Sep 27 16:22:59 CEST 2014

On 09/27/2014 03:11 PM, Gyesik Lee wrote:
> I had some problems with installing Agda 2.4.2.
>
> I am using Ubuntu 14.04 as a virtual machine on Windows 7 PC host.
>
> The compilation process almost stopped at the compilation step [173 of
> 271]. It seemed to freeze the virtual machine which has 1.5G of memory.
> Then I gave 1G memory more to the machine, then it worked.
>
> However, 2.5G of memory seems insufficient for another Ubuntu virtual
> machine on Mac Air. The compilation proceeds a little bit more, but it
> fails finally with a kind of "out of memory" around step [250 of 271]:
>
> "...
> Agda-2.4.2 failed during the building phase. The excpetion was:
> ExitFailure 9
> This may be due to an out-of-memory condition."
>
> The problem is I cannot give more memory to the virtual machine because the
> mac machine has only 4G of memory.
>
> I am wondering why so much memory is necessary to compile Agda 2.4.2?
>
> Gyesik

I think 3GB is a safe bound but I did have successful compilations with
less. I'm surprised you did not manage with 2.5GB.

If you're barely cutting it during compile then you might want to switch
off the documentation generation as that eats a lot of memory for
reasons not directly related to Agda.

--
Mateusz K.