[Agda] Agda moving to GitHub

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 06:02:11 CEST 2014

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 1:35 AM, Andreas Abel <abela at chalmers.se> wrote:

> Good!
>
> We should clarify how to work with the new repo in terms of branches etc.;
> draft a short note on the "best practices" on how to use or not use
> branching for
>
>   * fixing a bug
>   * adding a new feature
>
> Suggestions for a workflow model welcome!

I'm not advocating for any particular approach as I'm not an agda
developer, but I'll throw in my own bias and experience with git/github in
general.

With github there is a very good reason to use a different branch for each
bug fix. When you submit the pull request github tracks the branch you
worked in but not the commit. The nice part is that it allows you to keep
refining your pull request by committing to that branch. The downside is
that if you work out of one branch (say master) then when you fix a bug,
submit a pull request, and keep working, then all your commits will be
included in the pull request whenever upstream gets around to looking at
your PR.

Beyond that I personally don't like to introduce structured branching until
there is a need (eg., someone says, "Hey, this is why we can't have nice
things!"). Branches can be added lazily which gives a lot of flexibility in
to this reactionary approach.

Your mileage my vary :)