[Coq-Club] [Agda] Re: [HoTT] newbie questions about homotopy theory & advantage of UF/Coq

Matthieu Sozeau matthieu.sozeau at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 11:40:33 CET 2014

Hi,

  I can’t speak for Andrej, but my point was not to disqualify sized-types,
they are a fine, evidence-based foundation, just like wellfounded relations,
to define recursive definitions. The nice thing about wellfounded relations
is that they are readily available, supposing we have at least eliminators.
I’m curious about the respective expressive power of both, my gut feeling is
that w.f. relations are most general but this is not backed up by anything
formal. My question about sized types is how do you justify definitions
on big ordinals defined *in* the type theory using the metatheoretical ordinals.
It might reduce to Bruno’s [… and the fact that those ordinals are not used in the
process you iterate…] and be a solved question. Then Andrej might be worried that
the metatheory has to be classical if you use ordinals (?) (but for wfs it wouldn’t
be??). I’m no expert on ordinals or the models of sized-types so please take this
as another newbie question :)

  About the preservation by reduction, indeed that’s an advantage, and I can’t
see another way than to use a measure function to (in general, ordinal?) numbers
and the associated well-founded order to encode it.

Cheers,
— Matthieu