[Coq-Club] [Agda] Re: [HoTT] newbie questions about homotopy theory & advantage of UF/Coq

Frédéric Blanqui frederic.blanqui at inria.fr
Thu Jan 9 09:50:51 CET 2014

Hi.

Sorry but I don't really understand Andrej and Mathieu's last mails. In
size-based termination, there is no ordinal in the type system itself.
Ordinals are just used in the meta-theory to justify that, indeed, every
well typed term terminates. In fact, ordinals were already used before
in the meta-theory of CIC (see Altenkirch and Werner's PhDs) to justify
the fact that functions defined by structural induction indeed
terminates. Size-based termination simply extends the syntax of CIC by
making explicit something that was implicit in the interpretation of
types as Girard's reducibility candidates. The nice thing is that it
brings extra power to prove the termination of functions because, in
contrast to the notion of "structurally smaller", size is invariant by
reduction.

Best regards,

Frédéric.