github? [Re: [Agda] Agda development]

Jan Stolarek jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl
Mon Dec 2 17:05:27 CET 2013

> > Just to be clear. I don't want to argue that github is the best place to host a project - I
> > want to argue that git is :-)
>
> Why?
Because using git repos will allow people to have mirrors on github. At the same time features
offered by github might not be sufficient for the projects. For example one might want a better
bugtracker.

> And in my experience, mercurial is simply a better vcs than git. Git is just more popular.
Note that I have not gave a single technical reason to move to git - my whole argument is based on
popularity of git. If there are compelling reasons to use mercurial over git than of course you
should pick mercurial. But if not then moving from Darcs to mercurial will not buy much (in terms
of growth of community).

To put it differently: GHC, Idris and Coq are developed using git. In other words people that are
familiar with development of most popular functional programming languages - i.e. people that
could potentially contribute their expertise to Agda development - are all working on git. Is
that a good reason to also use git?

Janek