[Agda] Agda development

Nicolas Pouillard np at nicolaspouillard.fr
Sun Dec 1 11:43:47 CET 2013

Quoting Jan Stolarek (2013-12-01 10:54:51)
> I have some thought about Agda development that I'd like to share with developers, hoping it will
> help make things better (in my understanding of word "better").
>
> Agda development *seems* to be a closed process, without much possibility for community members to
> contribute. I'd like to stress that is *seems" so, not necesarily that it *is* so. Note that:
> 1. Issues are stored on google code, but the code repo is not. There are instructions how to get
> source code from svn, but the repo is actually empty.
> 2. Code is stored in Darcs. IMO this is a blocker for most people willing to contribute, as few
> people know Darcs.
> 3. Surprisingly, there is Agda Community group on github (https://github.com/agda) but it doesn't
> contain code of Agda, only some libraries.
>
> In my opinion the lack of centralised development webpage and using Darcs for source control keeps
> people from contributing. Given the above I'd like to propose migrating from current Google Code
> issue tracking and Darcs repositories to github. Many people use github for their open source
> projects on a daily basis and if they had Agda source code at hand on github they could simpy
> contribute without additional overhead of learning Darcs and using different platform (google
> code) for tracking issues.
>
> Also, I found a script that should allow to migrate current issues from Google Code to Github:
> https://github.com/arthur-debert/google-code-issues-migrator

I share your thoughts. I am also supportive of a migration towards
github.

To my understanding the main roadblock is that this will cause some
burden to the current developers who are not yet accustomed to git. I
hope they will realize that this is a minor initial burden for a big
upcoming benefit for themselves (a bit like learning to ride a bike)
and for the community.

I've raised this issue in the past and even maintained a git version of
the darcs repo for a while. I think we need to propose a constructive
plan including the effort of actually migrating the repo and issue
tracker.

Best regards,
-- Nicolas