[Agda] More universe polymorphism

Guillaume Brunerie guillaume.brunerie at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 03:13:08 CEST 2013

(1) Why are you using this complicated f instead of \ i -> Set i, is
it supposed to be bigger somehow? But anyway yes, it’s a function
whose type is big, so what?

(2) Yes, Agda’s universe polymorphism is more expressive than MLTT
with countably many universes. But as I said above you can see such
large types and terms as living in the meta-level. In MLTT with
countably many universes you can still define your f as an external
macro (or notational convention), but in Agda this is actually part of
the language.

(3) How do you derive a contradiction if the type of f has a type?
Because in the extension of universe polymorphism I’m proposing, the
type of f would have a type (Set \omega, for \omega the sup of the
omega first universe levels) so I would be interested if you can prove
that this system is inconsistent.

> You see, how can you formulate a type system to derive f if the type of f is not derivable?

I don’t understand what you mean.
I think we both agree that we cannot have both a type of universe
levels and the property that every type belongs to some universe. You
want to get rid of the type of universe levels but I would rather get
rid of the fact that every type belongs to some universe.
In particular a type can be derivable without belonging to any
universe and there is nothing forbidding you to inhabit such large
types. The type of f is {l : Level} (n : ℕ {l}) → Set(newlife n) which
is a correct type (using the framework-level Pi, which is not a Pi
inside any universe) and you can inhabit it via lambda-abstraction and
large elimination.

> In fact, I pose this as an open problem: formulate the correct Agda terms (in particular, types) in a deductive system `a la Martin-Lof.

What is the open problem more precisely? I guess you want a consistency proof?

Guillaume