[Agda] More universe polymorphism

Martin Escardo m.escardo at cs.bham.ac.uk
Sat Jun 29 02:30:54 CEST 2013

Actually, I sympathize with almost everything you say below,
particularly understanding what is going on with universe levels. It
did help me too to work with explicit universe levels (sort of,
actually). But once you understand it, typical ambiguity is easier to
work with.

However, I yet have to see a precise formal definition of MLTT with
countably many universes and a *type* of universe levels. I haven't
ever seen such a thing, and I don't think it is possible, even if you
extend the cardinality of the indices for universes:

  (1) What about my function f such that

      f(n+1) = Set_n -> ... Set_0 -> N

      This is far too big for the universes Agda can currently cope
      with, yet you can write it down and have it accepted.

  (2) In MLTT with countably many universes, f cannot be written
      down. So Agda is extrapolating. Fine with me if you like
      extrapolations, but the fact remains that both Agda has countably
      many universes (only) and the type of f cannot have a type in
      Agda.

  (3) I believe that if you formulate precisely a version of type
      theory with universes and a type of universe type-levels, you
      will be able to derive the Burali-Forti paradox. I actually could
      have done that in Agda if the type of f had a type (this is what
      I was aiming for). You see, how can you formulate a type system
      to derive f if the type of f is not derivable? In fact, I pose
      this as an open problem: formulate the correct Agda terms (in
      particular, types) in a deductive system `a la Martin-Lof. I
      don't think this can be done with a type of universe levels
      (prove me wrong).

Best,
Martin