[Agda] Datatype parameters and indices

Andreas Abel andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
Fri Jan 25 18:03:39 CET 2013

[This is a candidate for a FAQ.]

That P passes but N not is an artefact of data type declarations.

Parameters are actually *absent* from constructors, so pack is really

   pack : ?A -> P ?A

for ?A to be instantiated according to the context where pack occurs.
The syntax

   pack {A = Nat} zero

is valid, but the instantiation of parameter of A to Nat should only
regarded as a hint to the type checker, and not an actual setting of an
argument of pack.

In contrast, packn actually expects a first argument of type Set, which
is too big for type N : ... -> Set, so Agda complains.

Hope that helps,

Andreas