[Agda] Install failure

Christoph Herrmann ch at cs.st-andrews.ac.uk
Tue Mar 22 20:55:59 CET 2011

Hi Guillaume!

> Now it is and everything went fine.

Does it work now because you had good luck or do you
understand precisely what went wrong and why it works now?
Maybe you have a rather fresh system so there is little
that can confuse cabal. I guess that because cabal
did not make much problems for me with a version
of happy I installed from a different source.

However, I had and have endless problems with cabal since
a year or even longer. I even went back to ghc-6.12.3 a few months
ago, but this is no longer acceptable for me now.

Just today I wiped my entire cabal installation after cabal
was not happy with installing two different versions of process
in any order at the same time. I tried to reinstall
cabal (using ghc-7.0.2) and got the message that base and filepath
was missing (which I unregistered before with ghc-pkg due to
shadowing conflicts).

I managed to install base via MacPorts but cabal Setup was not
happy with the version of base although the version was in the
range which Setup reported. I also do not know where to get
filepath from.

The general problem is that the cabal installation (from .tar) via the Setup
program already assumes that the right libraries are installed in
the right version. The README does not provide help which
versions are actually required, where they can be downloaded
and how they can be installed (such that cabal is happy!)

It is really frustrating that all these installation tools such
as Mac ports, fink, apt-get, cabal, darcs at some point
just break with a message telling more or less that the
dependency structure is broken, even if one starts
from a fresh installation of that installation tool and even
though they have the capability to download everything that
is available from the web.

It would be good if either cabal could be provided using a
dmg- installer or a script which downloads all the required libraries,
but given the experience from the past I have little hope.

But for people which are not interested in many diverse Haskell
tools and just want to get  Agda working it would probably be
best if the Agda installation be made independent from cabal.

Best Regards