[Agda] Compiler works ahead

Andreas Abel andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
Tue Oct 26 19:21:17 CEST 2010

To my fellow Agda developers I'd like to announce that I plan to work
on the compilation to Haskell.  This is to avoid the duplication of
efforts.  I have two students who are interested to implement an
improved compiler for Agda, probably they will start working beginning
of next year.

My plans are:
- typed compilation (that will remove the bulk of unsafeCoerce
applications)
- useless code analyses (that will hopefully remove the bulk of static
code)

The useless code analyses have been described by Edwin Brady and
colleagues:

- "forcing" analysis: removing redundant constructor arguments
- "collapsing" analysis (aka token type analysis): detecting unit types
- identity analysis: eliminating applications of traversal functions
that amount to the identity

The output will be Haskell source, unless someone integrates external
core into GHC in the meantime.
I am tending towards a "pretty" Haskell output that is callable from
other Haskell modules.  That may encourage Haskell programmers to
write parts of their projects in Agda even when they want to stick to
Haskell as the main platform.

Comments welcome.

Cheers,
Andreas

Oettingenstr. 67, D-80538 Munich, GERMANY

andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
http://www2.tcs.ifi.lmu.de/~abel/