[Agda] Equivalence axiom => extensionality

Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine plumsdai at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jun 25 10:06:51 CEST 2010

Unfortunately I don't have enough time today code/write up the details of this (I'll try to tomorrow), but we discussed this in Pittsburgh a bit and I think worked out the situation fairly well:

Iso(X,Y) and WkEquiv(X,Y) _should_ be interderivable (i.e. there are maps going back and forth between the two); they are "the same" in that sense.

Indeed, for a given f, IsIso(f) and IsWkEquiv(f) should be interderivable.

However, this _shouldn't_ be a homotopy equivalence: IsWkEquiv(f) is designed so that it should be a proposition (i.e. contractible if inhabited), whereas IsIso(f) isn't quite.

More specifically, given (g, ε, η), there's some redundancy in the data, making the type potentially non-trivial.  We can compare ε to "η transported across the equivalence", and these might not be the same.  Adding either triangle equality fixes that.  Adding _both_ the triangle equalities introduces redundancy again: we can transport the witness for one across and compare it with the witness for the other, and they might not be equal!

(So I am claiming, btw, that the triangle equalities are interderivable; essentially, as soon as we have the basic data (f, g, ε, η) of the iso, we should be able to "transport anything across it" in a broad enough sense to include this, I think.)

So... that's why having no triangle equality, or both, is not quite right.  I don't have a good intuition for why having _just on_ should be the Goldilocks spot --- but I'm pretty sure we proved that(*) in Pittsburgh, and hopefully we should be able to do so again :-)

(*): so the precise statements I'm claiming are that if we have

IsWkEquiv(f)
IsIso(f)
IsIsoOneTri(f)
IsIsoBothTris(f)

then

(a) all of these are interderivable,
and
(b) IsWkEquiv(f) and IsIsoOneTri(f) are isomorphic.

-p.

--
Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine
Carnegie Mellon University