[Agda] Equivalence axiom => extensionality

Thorsten Altenkirch txa at Cs.Nott.AC.UK
Fri Jun 25 17:36:54 CEST 2010

I normalized the types (by Hand) using AC and it seems to me that one
can even formulate a binary WeakEquiv(f,g) which looks as follows
(given f : A → B, g : B → A):

ε : (b : B) → f (g b) ≡ b
α : (b : B)(a : A) → f a ≡ b → a ≡ g b
Å : (b : B)(a : A)(β : f a ≡ b) → f (α β) ∘ ε b ≡ β

I also noticed that if we ignore the last, 2nd order equality then the
first two are actually isomorphic to isIso(f,g) - w.o. UIP obviously.

And as I already remarked this seems to be equivalent to adding

δ e : ε b ∘ f (g e ∘ η a) = e

to isIso. And δ seems isomorphic to the 1st triangle equality.

I know understand why the triangle equations are interderivable, here
we have to exploit the fact that we actually have a groupoid (this is
not true for categories in general).

What isn't clear to me is wether this is enough at higher dimensions?
Did you actually claim this?

Cheers,
Thorsten