[Agda] install trouble

Pierre Hyvernat pierre.hyvernat at univ-savoie.fr
Mon Feb 16 11:42:16 CET 2009

Hi!

Some answers...

>> Using the precompiled packages didn't work either...

I first tried to install it on my laptop (debian, amd64). No binaries...

I then tried to install it on my older desktop computer (debian, ix86),
but there were some broken dependencies for agda-mode.

I ended up using the agda-mode from the darcs repository.

Any Agda related thing in Emacs resulted in something like

buffer *ghci*
  <interactive>:1:0: Not in scope: `cmd_load'

I simply was too tired to investigate more than that...

> If you decide to install manually, then I suggest that you use
> cabal-install,

Yes, that's probably what I'll do.

Thanks.

It might be a good idea to add that in the README file.

(Concerning installation: is the Makefile of any real use?)

>> Warning: This package indirectly depends on multiple versions of the
>> same package. This is highly likely to cause a compile failure.
>> package haskell98-1.0.1.0 requires process-1.0.0.0 package Agda-2.1.3
>> requires process-1.0.1.1
>
> This is a GHC problem. I think that the problem could have been avoided
> by using cabal-install.

That would be good news: it turned out my problem came from that.

buffer *ghci*
  GHCi runtime linker: fatal error: I found a duplicate definition for
  symbol waitForProcess

The warning is misleading, as compilation went fine...

> My guess is that GHCi has died because of the problem above, with Emacs
> still waiting for output from GHCi.

Isn't there a way to detect that, so that Emacs doesn't hang forever.
(Granted, there is C-g, but this is not satisfying...)

See my next mail for additional comments.

Pierre