[subexp-daq] sis3316 updates

Håkan T Johansson f96hajo at chalmers.se
Tue Feb 20 19:59:11 CET 2024

Dear Günter, all sis3316 nurdlib user,

the changes to the nurdlib sis3316-code that have been used at Jena (and
possibly other places), which was a branch that had its branch point about
three years ago has been forward-ported to approximately current master.

It is available as the 'rebasing_sis3316' branch at
https://gitlab.com/chalmers-subexp/nurdlib

Since we have no direct access or own experience with those modules, the
testing needs to be done by some/anyone with access to sis3316 hardware.

Note: it is not necessary to have used the forked branch to provide
helpful test results!  Knowing that the new changes do not break other
sis3316-behaviour would also be very helpful.

Thus, this is a call for help!  ;)

As can be seen in the repository graph

https://gitlab.com/chalmers-subexp/nurdlib/-/network/master?ref_type=heads

there are about 20 commits.  Some of them are followed by fixup commits,
where we just kept a minimal merge first, and then fixed compilation
issues separately, in order to more easily follow any mistakes.  I.e.:
when a commit is followed by fixup commits, it only makes sense to test
the last fixup commit in that sequence.

I would suggest the following test strategy:

0) First test the 'rebasing_sis3316' branch.
    If we are lucky - it just works!

1) If 0) fails, then test the fork point, i.e. the currently the
    commit e2163738.  This is an close ancestor of the nurdlib master
    branch, and thus contains no additional sis3316 changes than has been
    in the master branch so far.

    When testing that, it will probably be necessary to comment out some
    settings, which have been implemented in the new branch.

    If this fails, nurdlib master has a problem, which I think should be
    looked into before proceeding further.

2) Move forward, commit by commit (in steps to fixup commits where they
    follow other commits).  For each such commit, test and see if it still
    works.  If a commit implements a new option, also test that one.

This way, we should hopefully be able to pin-point any issues.

Best regards,
Håkan