[subexp-daq] Question on JSON output from UCESB: handling of DATA12_OVERFLOW

Weber, Guenter Dr. g.weber at hi-jena.gsi.de
Thu Apr 18 13:49:35 CEST 2024

Dear friends,

were found some unexpected (at least to us) behaviour when looking at the JSON output from UCESB.

We are using the following command to generate the JSON outout:

../../ucesb/jena_polarimeter/jena_polarimeter stream://localhost:8003 --ntuple=UNPACK,STRUCT,- | ../../ucesb/hbook/struct_writer - --dump=compact_json

In our DAQ, there are sitting CAEN V785 modules. The *.spec file for these modules looks like this:

#define VME_CAEN_V792 VME_CAEN_V775
#define VME_CAEN_V785 VME_CAEN_V775

VME_CAEN_V775(geom,
          crate)
{
  MEMBER(DATA12_OVERFLOW data[32] ZERO_SUPPRESS);

  UINT32 header NOENCODE
    {
      // 0_7: undefined;
      8_13:  count;
      16_23: crate = MATCH(crate);
      24_26: 0b010;
      27_31: geom = MATCH(geom);
    }

  list(0<=index<header.count)
    {
      UINT32 ch_data NOENCODE
    {
      0_11:  value;

      12:    overflow;
      13:    underflow;
      14:    valid;

      // 15: undefined;

      16_20: channel;

      24_26: 0b000;
      27_31: geom = CHECK(geom);

      ENCODE(data[channel],(value=value,overflow=overflow));
    }
    }

  UINT32 eob
    {
      0_23:  event_number;
      24_26: 0b100;
      27_31: geom = CHECK(geom);
      // NOENCODE;
    }
}

Now comes the strange part: from time to time we get values greater than 2^12 in the arrays belonging to the 12-bit ADC data (the values are than usually in the 36xxx ballpark). We assume that these are the overflow events and for some reason they are translated to values of 2^15 + something in the JSON output data.

Is our interprtation correct and if yes, is this intended behaviour?

Many thanks!

Best greetings

Günter