[Driftstörning] DHCP lease-time

Gunnar Lindberg Gunnar.Lindberg at chalmers.se
Ons Apr 22 08:31:10 CEST 2009

This is a change you should never notice. However, having spent
25+ years in this crazy business I know that is often not true:

We have changed the "lease-time" in DHCP (dhcp2) from 5d to 8h.

    o	This will enable us to re-number hosts (new IP address)
	during the night and verify it worked the morning after.
	Good Thing (TM).

    o	Possible DHCP problems will show up more frequently.
	Despite this sounds like a Very Bad Thing (TM), in
	reality it's much better to solve the problems once
	and for all instead of just hiding/ignoring them.

So, it's now:

    default-lease-time 28800;
    max-lease-time 28800;

		Gunnar Lindberg, ITS Nät/CDG & cth-nic