[Agda] Agda typechecking speed

Carette, Jacques carette at mcmaster.ca
Fri Jun 16 20:23:37 CEST 2023

I've created a (biased, opinionated, perhaps wrong in places) page that captures my experience of what causes slowness in agda-categories and how to mitigate it: https://github.com/agda/agda-categories/wiki/speed

I've likely missed some times too, I'll keep adding as I remember them.

I'll happily correct my mistakes. I'd be even happier if the Agda developers made a liar out of me and changed the underlying behaviour so that some of the 'reasons' outline were no longer sources of slowness!

Jacques

PS: just to be clear - I'm using Agda a lot these days, both in my courses and in my research. I love it. I've hired students for the sole purpose to work on its libraries - my way of giving back.