[Agda] Path to success with Agda?

William DeMeo williamdemeo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 00:26:57 CEST 2022

I feel your pain.  I started learning Agda on a number of occasions, only
to put it aside having made no discernible progress.  It wasn't until the
third time I tried that I actually succeeded.

What finally clicked for me was Martin Escardo's course Introduction to
Univalent Foundations in Agda
<https://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~mhe/HoTT-UF-in-Agda-Lecture-Notes/>.  Imho, it
achieves the perfect balance between Agda basics/background and interesting
mathematics that I wanted to learn about for its own sake.  After working
through the course, the main Agda idioms (and Martin's style) were firmly
implanted in my brain and I could prove pretty much whatever I wanted after
that.

Martin structures proofs in a uniform and elementary way that makes them
easy to learn.  Moreover, he is skilled at avoiding parts of the language
that might cause difficulties or confusion. Martin's course---as well as
our own agda-algebras library, ualib.org (shameless plug 😊)---support the
claim that you don't really need `with`, or the K axiom for that matter, to
prove many deep theorems with Agda.

Good luck and don't give up!

Sincerely,
William

[image: NJIT logo] <https://www.njit.edu/> *William DeMeo, PhD*
Senior University Lecturer in Computer Science
Ying Wu College of Computing
wjd at njit.edu <william.demeo at njit.edu> • williamdemeo.org • (516)912-3162
<5169123162>