[Agda] Noetherian vs WellFounded

mechvel at scico.botik.ru mechvel at scico.botik.ru
Tue Oct 5 21:58:36 CEST 2021

On 2021-10-05 18:18, Martin Escardo wrote:
> You may wish to look here:
>
> https://mathoverflow.net/questions/239560/noetherian-rings-in-constructive-mathematics

No, my subject is much simpler than ascending ideals in rings.
Ideals are infinite sets, and I have only integer points on the plane.

This relates to a normal form algorithm NF for multivariate polynomials.
There is only
              Carrier = PP = ℕ × ℕ   -- "power product"

Generally there are n components, but  n = 2  is sufficient to test the
approach.
And there are
     _<_  : Rel PP _,
     _+'_ : PP → PP → PP
            defined as the pointwise addition.

Axioms of _admissible ordering_ on PP:
   (A1) _<_ is of DecTotalOrder,
   (A2) ∀ e → Nonzero e → (0 , 0) < e,
   (A3) ∀ (e e' d) → e < e' → e +' d < e' +' d

Let _<_ be admissible.
This is not so easy, but it can be proved in Agda that _<_ is
Noetherian.
First one needs to prove the Dickson's lemma.
After this, it is easy to prove  Noetherian _<_.
The NF algorithm includes forming a sequence in PP recursively from  e
to  e',  where  e > e'.
It is evident that  Noetherian _<_  is a nice and regular base for the
termination proof for NF.
But I do not see how to derive  WellFounded  in this case.

There is a certain nice classification for the admissible orderings.
One may hope to use this classification to prove WellFounded.
But
a) to prove this classification is Agda will be extremely difficult, if
ever possible,
b) to prove in Agda WellFounded from this classification will also be
difficult, if possible.

And using    Dickson => (Noetherian _<_) => terminating
is nice and surely gives the result.

--
SM