[Agda] Tips for working around proof relevance

Nicolai Kraus nicolai.kraus at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 22:18:47 CET 2020

Peter, thanks a lot for explaining this [again]! It's a really
interesting observation that setoid-categories are a "maximally
unsaturated" version of 1-categories.

What is unfortunate is that such unsaturated notions are very
representation-dependent. Different choices of representation, which
would lead to equivalent saturated definitions, give non-equivalent
unsaturated definitions. Do you have intuition for which choices lead to
well-behaved structures? Or is this just a matter of trying it out?

My impression is that, in order to get well-behaved structures, we
either want no redundancy at all *or* as much redundancy, and thus
"leeway", as possible. Here, I mean "redundancy" in the sense of
"missing conditions on which components should be identified".
Intuition: If we do a construction and all the input is perfect, then we
hopefully can expect the result to be perfect, so the construction
works. Or, if the input doesn't satisfy any conditions, but we also
don't require the output to satisfy any conditions, then the
construction also works. But if the input is "partially ok" and the
output is required to be "partially ok", then the risk is that the wrong
part of the output will be "partially ok". This is similar to what you
said about saturation (and probably something similar can be said about
strictness).

Univalent categories have no redundancy, and the agda-categories library
includes a lot of redundancy. What if we remove some redundancy from
agda-categories? If, for example, we remove `sym-assoc` in
https://agda.github.io/agda-categories/Categories.Category.Core.html
and replace all occurrences by what we get from `assoc` and the witness
of `IsEquivalence (_≈_)`? This would cause more work in some places
(judging by the comment on why `sym-assoc` was included), but could all
constructions still be fixed? I would expect they can, but I don't think
it's a priori clear. Jacques, did you find that some redundancy is
really required rather than just convenient in the implementation?

Nicolai