[Agda] Help with stuck unification/intrinsic typing in general

Daniel Lee laniel at seas.upenn.edu
Thu Oct 1 05:48:10 CEST 2020

Hi all,

I'm super new to Agda and the Agda community. Hopefully this is the right
place to ask something like this, but please call me out if it isn't.

I'm working on an Agda development for a QTT formalization. I'm trying to
use an intrinsically typed representation for terms, but run into
unification issues when trying to define substitution.

Substitution:

Error message:

Application def:

I'm sort of at a loss for how to get around this. Is the issue because of
the functions in the return type?

More broadly, it seems like intrinsic typing is the Agda way of doing
things, and gives a lot for free. And it works really well in the STLC
example given in the PLFA textbook. But for a more complicated type system
like this, I'm starting to think it might be easier to use extrinsic
typing? I've also had to rely on the REWRITE pragma which I just learned
isn't allowed in --safe due to potential non-convergence.
Does someone maybe have experience with this and could speak to pros/cons
of using intrinsic vs extrinsic typing here?

Thanks,
Daniel