[Agda] Suspicious normalisation

Marko Dimjašević marko at dimjasevic.net
Tue Sep 29 19:27:05 CEST 2020

Dear Fredrik and Guillaume,

Thank you both for your replies! Now I understand the issue and I have a
few follow-up remarks below.

On Mon, 2020-09-28 at 10:56 +0100, Fredrik Nordvall Forsberg wrote:

> Note that the only reduction that has happened here is is that the two
> arguments has been replaced by their definition `suc (`suc `zero); in
> particular, the function ƛ′_⇒_ is stuck, and has not reduced, for two
> reasons:
>
> 1. its first argument does not match its only defining pattern (` x);
> 2. its implicit argument is still an unsolved meta, so its unknown if it
> matches its only defining pattern tt yet.

If this is the case, wouldn't it be desirable for the Emacs function
associated with C-c C-n (namely, agda2-compute-normalised-maybe-toplevel in
my case) to indicate to the user that the expression is stuck? There is
another function agda2-compute-normalised-toplevel, but it gives the same
result when ƛ′ two ⇒ two is its argument, so based on that I don't see the
difference between the two Emacs functions.

> You can see more clearly what is going on either by toggling the display
> of implicit arguments in the Agda menu, in which case the "normalised"
> term is
>
> ƛ′_⇒_ (`suc (`suc `zero)) {_19} (`suc (`suc `zero))
>
> [here _19 is the unsolved meta of type ⊥]

This unsolved meta explains it! Thank you for pointing out how to make it
visible.

--
Regards,
Marko Dimjašević <marko at dimjasevic.net>