[Agda] A philosophical question on absurd.

David Banas capn.freako at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 15:11:22 CEST 2020

Hi all,

I'm brand new to Agda and the Curry-Howard isomorphism (and really loving
this new exploration of both!), and I have a *philosophical* objection to
how the *absurd* function is used to generate whatever we need to complete
a proof.

I understand how we are able to satisfy the Agda compiler with the
definition of *absurd*; my objection isn't mechanical/technical.

What bothers me is a feeling that I'm "cheating" when I use this function
that can never be called, in order to "produce" that which I need to
complete my proof.

I wonder if someone could offer a different perspective on this, for
consideration.

Thanks!
-db