[Agda] On IRC, Slack, Gitter, Discord, and Zulip (re: Hanging out with the Lean crowd)

Jesper Cockx Jesper at sikanda.be
Tue Aug 25 11:33:23 CEST 2020

Let me try to summarize the discussion so far:

- One important point is that there is a fundamental difference between
slow-form asynchronous communication channels (e.g. email, github, reddit,
discourse) and real-time synchronous channels (e.g. IRC, slack, discord,
zulip, matrix.org, ...). While some of these systems can also been used for
the other purpose, the general requirements seem different enough that
having two separate platforms is warranted.
- For asynchronous communication, email is very ingrained and difficult to
replace completely. It would be interesting to investigate alternatives
such as discourse at some point, but I won't push for that at the moment.
- From all the synchronous channels, the two that got the most positive
reaction are Zulip and Matrix.org. Zulip seems to be mature and well-loved
for its integrations and threaded conversations. Matrix is the only truly
open platform and does more or less everything that Slack does.

I would like to try out either Zulip or Matrix during the next online Agda
meeting (in place of Slack). Personally I would prefer Zulip, since the
integration with Github is rather nice, and I've come to like the threaded
model of conversation. For the kind of conversations we had on the Slack
channel so far, these features seem to be more important than the
possibility to connect via different clients offered by Matrix.

-- Jesper