[Agda] Hanging out with the Lean crowd

Nicolai Kraus nicolai.kraus at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 20:21:55 CEST 2020

Thanks for the interesting observations!

My impression is that Agda is used a lot for computer science /
programming language research, while Lean is
used for formalising mathematics (obviously with many many excpetions).
These are different although certainly overlapping communities. As a
result, Lean has huge libraries of formalised (in Kevin Buzzard's words)
generic mathematics, and Agda has many developments which study the
meta-theory of type systems, and so on. In principle, both communities
could use the same system, I guess it has happened for "soft" reasons
(social reasons, "marketing", random chance etc) that they don't. I
don't know whether Lean is fundamentally better than Agda for
formalising maths, or whether Agda is fundamentally better than Lean for
PL research. Probably not, but I also don't think there is any problem.

The above is just what I have observed, I don't want to suggest anything
since I think it's very good already :-)
(I agree with the single communication system though, that would
probably simplify things.)

Nicolai