[Agda] Prior work on proof assistant performance / optimization

Jason Gross jasongross9 at gmail.com
Thu May 14 03:08:14 CEST 2020

Thanks!  This is very interesting.  (And thanks all for sources.)

I'm still digesting this, but have one question already:
> Clearly, we should use NbE/environment machines for evaluation, and
implement conversion checking in the semantic domain.

Does this mean that we can't be agnostic about whether or not we're
supporting HoTT, because we either have to pick set theory/irrelevant
equality proofs or cubical (or some other model of HoTT) when normalizing
proofs of equality?

> I'd be very interested in your findings about proof assistant performance.

I'd be happy to share once I have my thesis in a sufficiently ready state!
Broadly, the message of my thesis is that performance of
(dependently-typed) proof assistants / interactive theorem provers is an
interesting area of research sorely in need of systematic study.  (My
thesis will also include some of the research work I've done, which can be
rendered as "how to work around some of the asymptotics in Coq without
needing to change the system", but I think that's a bit less broadly
interesting.)

-Jason