[Agda] Question about colists, musical notation vs coinductive records, and all that

William Harrison william.lawrence.harrison at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 21:08:39 CEST 2020

Thank you Eric and Guillaume! I think you have both answered my questions, and the pointer to Cowriter are spot on.

Eric,

What you wrote is what I was trying to write, although I get an odd syntax error when I try it (I’ve attached the file that generates the error). It is possible that this is just a stupid mistake on my part made after staring at an emacs buffer all day.

This definition:
iterate1 : ∀ {a} → (a → Maybe a) → a → Colist a
Hd (iterate1 {A} f a) = Just (a , loop (f a))
   where
     loop : Maybe A → Colist A
     loop Nothing   = hd Nothing
     loop (Just a') = iterate1 f a’

Generates this error:

…/ColistQuestion.agda:19,6-20
Could not parse the left-hand side loop (Just a')
Operators used in the grammar:
  None
when scope checking the left-hand side loop (Just a') in the
definition of loop

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks Again,
Bill