[Agda] Strict equality _≣_ in agda

Thorsten Altenkirch Thorsten.Altenkirch at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Apr 21 10:55:42 CEST 2020

I don’t think there is a standard definition of strict equality in Agda.

It is possible to have both weak and strict equality in Agda as described in our paper
Extending Homotopy Type Theory with Strict Equality<http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~psztxa/publ/csl16.pdf>
At the last Agda meeting Jesper implemented some extension to the universe mechanism which allows us to have a universe of pretypes with strict equality and fibrant types with weak equality.

The syntax of equality in agda is a bit confusing. In writing I would use = for the usual weak equality type and \equiv for either judgemental or strict equality. However, in agda it is the other way around, because traditionally = is used in definitions and it has the advantage of being an ASCII character.

Thorsten