[Agda] [Coq-Club] Why dependent type theory?

Jeremy Avigad avigad at cmu.edu
Mon Mar 16 20:58:34 CET 2020

I'd like to post a correction to my previous correction regarding the
origins of the use of implicit arguments in dependent type theory. In fact,
Section 7.2 of the 1985 paper on the Calculus of Inductive Constructions by
Thierry Coquand and Gérard Huet gives a very clear presentation of the idea
of using implicit arguments:

  https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0890540188900053

Thierry Coquand pointed out to me that Appendix 9 of the thesis of Jutting
(1977) describes a system AUT-SYNT that is a variation of Automath with
implicit arguments. This appendix is reproduced in the book on Selected
Papers on Automath:

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Selected_Papers_on_Automath/6pObdqwF0coC

It's nice to have the opportunity to call attention to these important
sources.

Best wishes,

Jeremy