[Agda] Type Theory vs. Set Theory – Re: [Coq-Club] Why dependent type theory?

Thorsten Altenkirch Thorsten.Altenkirch at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Mar 10 12:10:00 CET 2020

2. It should be possible to derive all of mathematics from type theory (in particular, from a dependent type variant of Andrews' Q0).
This claim is not only stronger as is covers all (!) of mathematics possibly expressible (instead of only "the whole of known [!] mathematics").
Q0 was specifically designed in this spirit ("to derive practically the whole of [...] mathematics from a single source"), what Andrews calls "expressiveness".
The claim that a further developed variant of Q0 would be identical with (all of) mathematics was made earlier here:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/metamath/Fgn0qZEzCko/7fCLcrftCQAJ

I don’t agree with this description. As set theory, type theory is an evolving system. For example a while ago we were using intensional type theory with uniqueness of identity proofs and now we have a much more extensional type theory with univalence and without uip. And also the question isn’t just wether we “can derive” all Mathematics but can we structure mathematical constructions in a reasonable way. Otherwise we are left with the usual argument that all programs can be written in machine language.