[Agda] [lean-user] Re: [Coq-Club] Why dependent type theory?

Bas Spitters b.a.w.spitters at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 15:25:06 CET 2020

Dear Kevin,

The excitement about HoTT is that it has brought together several
communities. Some are interested in homotopy theory and higher
category theory, some (like Vladimir) want a new foundation for modern
mathematics.
Some combine those two by higher toposes.

Some are trying to improve the previous generation of proof
assistants. E.g. this influenced the design of quotients types in
lean.
By Curry-Howard this also influences the design of programming
languages, like the cubical agda programming language
(https://pure.itu.dk/portal/files/84649948/icfp19main_p164_p.pdf)

If we consider HoTT as an extension of type theory with the univalence
axiom, then *of course* everything that was done before can still be
done.
E.g. the proof of Feit-Thompson is constructive and thus also works in
HoTT. (I can elaborate on this if needed.)

In fact, classical logic is valid in the simplicial set model
(https://www.math.uwo.ca/faculty/kapulkin/notes/LEM_in_sSet.pdf).
Moreover, that model also interprets strict propositions, so one could
even extend lean with univalence (I believe).
It would be interesting to know whether this simplifies the definition
of perfectoid spaces.

Best regards,

Bas