[Agda] Why dependent type theory?

Martin Escardo m.escardo at cs.bham.ac.uk
Fri Mar 6 22:05:04 CET 2020

The troubling aspect of proof assistants is that they not only implement
proof checking (and definition checking, construction checking etc.) but
that also that each of them proposes a new foundation of mathematics.

Which is sometimes not precisely specified, as it is the case of e.g.
Agda. (Which is why I, as an Agda user, I confine myself to a
well-understood subset of Agda corresponding to a (particular)
well-understood type theory.

For mathematically minded users of proof assistants, like myself, this
is a problem. We are not interested in formal proofs per se. We are
interested in what we are talking about, with rigorously stated
assumptions about our universe of discourse.

Best,
Martin

--
Martin Escardo