[Agda] [Coq-Club] Why dependent type theory?

Dominique Unruh unruh at ut.ee
Wed Mar 4 12:25:16 CET 2020

Hi,

following up with Thorsten's command about the word "dependent type
theory", I would like to add a few observations I had in this discussion:

  * I think the word "type theory" itself is unclear in this context. At
    least several of the emails seem to use different but related ideas
    of what that means:
      o It could mean "something where everything has a type" (i.e., not
        the usual ZF). Then HOL would be type theory. (Thorsten's email
        quoted below makes sense in that setting because HOL avoids the
        problem described there.)
      o It could mean the above with dependent types (but not necessary
        the Curry-Howard thing from the next item)
      o It could mean "a system where we use the same language for
        propositions and proofs via Curry-Howard isomorphism" (I believe
        this will then also need dependent types since otherwise the
        proof terms are not powerful enough)
      o It could mean a system with strong normalization (so that
        everything terminates), at least some of the answers seem to see
        this as part of the meaning of "type theory".

Of course, there are many interaction between the different concepts,
but if we talk about the costs or benefits of adopting type theory, it
becomes quite important which aspect of it we are adopting. (E.g., if we
have, say, a good reason why we need the second point, and a big cost
for getting the four point, then it is important not to just say "type
theory has the following good reason and the following cost".)

Maybe when discussing *why* type theory, we should prefix our answers by
what we mean by type theory (e.g., one of the above). Otherwise it will
be very confusing (at least to me).

Another question is also the context in which we want to use it:

  * Programming (with all the associated things like verification, type
    checking, etc.)
  * Math

These have different requirements, so making explicit which domain we
are thinking of in our answer might make things clearer as well.

Just my personal thoughts, but I hope they may help to add some clarity
to the discussion.

Best wishes,
Dominique.