[Agda] New blog post: Hack your type theory with rewrite rules

Jon Sterling jon at jonmsterling.com
Mon Oct 21 21:35:43 CEST 2019

Hi Jesper,

I'm very pleased to hear that the confluence checker is coming along! Once it is in place, what kind of syntactic guarantees (relative to "pure Agda") can we expect to be available in the presence of custom rewrite rules?

The main one I'm asking about is transitivity: if judgmental equality is transitive in plain Agda, then does one expect it to be transitive in Agda mod T, for T a set of rewrite rules that would accepted by the completed checker? If so, the rewriting facility sounds totally amazing and really useful.

Maybe in the future we can just use Agda to prototype most new extensions to type theory, rather than writing our own implementations right away.

Best,
Jon