[Agda] Agda speed in Ubuntu

Martin Escardo m.escardo at cs.bham.ac.uk
Fri Aug 2 23:13:04 CEST 2019

I decided to do something naughty.

I copied the tree .cabal from Ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04, given that both run
ghc 8.0.2, and given that I kept my fingers crossed.

Amazingly, now I can run Agda in 18.04 at the same faster speed as in
16.04. I have little clue of what is going on.

I tested this in three machines running 18.04. All of them get the
speed-up reported below.

Martin

On 02/08/2019 20:17, Martin Escardo wrote:
> I accidentally discovered the following (because I booted in an old
> partition to try to find a file, and then kept working on that partition):
>
> A certain Agda file type checks in a core i5 Dell laptop 7th generation
>
>   * In 70 seconds in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
>   * In 50 seconds in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
>
> I couldn't believe this, and so I tested this in a core i5 HP laptop 6th
> generation. The results where, respectively,
>
>    * 70+delta
>    * 50+delta'
>
> with the deltas < 3sec.
>
> Of course we can try to blame the Intel bugs and their fixes for that.
> But, still, both 16.04 and 18.04 are long-term support versions and are
> supposed to incorporate the fixes.
>
> In the four 2x2 cases, Haskell 8.0.2 and Agda 2.6.0.1 are used. Also, in
> both cases nothing else is running in user space.
>
> Can anybody reproduce this?
>
> This is a significant difference: 50/70 is 70% of the time in 16.04. Way
> faster.
>
> Martin

Martin Escardo
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~mhe