[Agda] Pattern matching on irrelevant types with only one constructor?

Thorsten Altenkirch Thorsten.Altenkirch at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed May 1 17:16:54 CEST 2019

That is not really an argument.

Clearly there are many situations where we would like to reduce a term which will only terminate in a consistent context. E.g. we can reduce terms which are only guarded by a proof of well-foundedness. Another situation is wether you can reduce a coercion which relies on an equality proof. The latter could lead to a failure of type-soundness but does it matter when we execute symbolically (i.e. not at run-time).

I don't say that the answer is always that we shouldn't care, but I was asking for better arguments why we should.

Thorsten